Crunch.io, part of the YouGov PLC, is seeking a talented, motivated, and versatile human to help lead the development of our R data science products. Crunch provides a modern platform for survey data analysis, and a central feature of our product is the ability to manipulate and analyze datasets stored in the cloud using R. As senior R developer, you will have three main responsibilities. First, you will work with the rest of our team to design and implement novel features that deliver real value and change our clients’ workflows for the better. Second, as the primary point of contact between our R user community and the development team, you will serve as their voice in product development. And third, you will often directly help clients manipulate and explore data using Crunch, including helping clients design and implement workflows that incorporate Crunch.
- Teaching users how to work with the library through documentation and direct conversations.
- Writing scripts that help clients implement Crunch and make it a part of their workflow, including ETL, data analysis, and outputs.
- Developing and maintaining our core R packages, including new feature design, comprehensive testing, and documentation
- Supporting our community of R users by responding to feature requests and triaging bug reports
- Evangelizing our product and educating our R user base by contributing to our technical blog and helping enrich our support documentation
- Translating API speak to R that feels natural and native
- Engaging with and contributing to the broader open source R ecosystem
Depending on your interests and skills, there are opportunities to get involved in:
- API design: developing good conventions that enable our platform to scale and make it easy for client applications to consume them
- Product management, building on your interactions with our users to shape our product roadmap and feature design
- Python development, ranging from implementing APIs you need for the R packages, to statistical modeling, numerical computing, machine learning, and natural language processing
In any given week, you might implement an R interface for a new API our backend has added, write a blog post introducing that new feature, track down a bug report from a user, write a test that reproduces the issue, and assist customers in implementing Crunch via the Crunch R packages.
- Expert-level skills in R, including experience delivering code that others rely on to do their work. Prior experience creating and maintaining R packages is highly valued.
- Serious commitment to high development standards, including comprehensive testing, in whatever language you're working
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team of peers, understanding and respecting the responsibilities and expertise developers, designers, QA folks, and others bring to the project
- Eagerness to take ownership of projects and deliver results on schedule
- Experience in a "data science", such as social science, market research, or data visualization, is a plus.