Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
The Wikimedia Foundation is growing its Machine learning efforts. This an opportunity to be part of the team that builds and maintain machine learning technologies to empower millions of users – readers, contributors, and donors – who contribute to Wikipedia and its sister projects on a daily basis. We address process inefficiencies with machine learning technologies, we design and test new technology, we produce empirical insights, and we publish and present research of the intersection of technology and culture. We are strongly committed to principles of transparency, privacy, and collaboration. We use free and open source technology and we collaborate with external researchers and our volunteer community.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to help build features that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. As an Engineering Manager, you will support engineers building features, products, and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to do good while improving one of the best known sites in the world.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Partner closely with other teams and departments across the Wikimedia Foundation to define and experiment with machine learning products. These could be brand new feature offerings in Wikipedia or augmentation of existing workflows.
- Review and advice in code changes made by team.
- Represent team members within the organization and Wikimedia community.
- Support and coach your team members in the development of their career paths.
- Recruit and hire new team members.
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Multiple years of experience in leading software engineering teams and managing complex projects.
- Practical experience with machine learning, natural language processing or information retrieval in products that have been launched to production.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Familiarity with statistics.
- Significant experience working with data infrastructure and distributed systems at scale.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- BS in Computer Science or other relevant technical field or the equivalent in related work experience.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Previous experience working on a large, mature, open source project
- Experience working with a geographically distributed software engineering team
- Experience with open source software development
- Contributing to the Wikipedia or Wikimedia project communities
Show us your stuff! If you have any existing open source software that you or teams you have lead have developed (these could be your own software or patches to other packages), please share the URLs for the source. Links to GitHub,GitLab, BitBucket, Presi, YouTube, Medium, etc. are especially useful.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record