Senior Backend Developer (Remote)
Location: Remote with preference given to candidates between UTC-6 and UTC+2
Hypothesis is seeking a Senior Backend Developer to join our Product Delivery team. The person hired in this role will work to ensure that Hypothesis technologies and services support our vision of a world where annotation is as common as comments, but more useful and engaging. Join us as we extend what the web can do.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small non-profit with big aspirations. We work with educators, online publishers, journalists, and scientists to unlock new capabilities and workflows on the web.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, scientists, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. We communicate via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 9 time zones.
About the role
In this role, you will help build systems and APIs to support annotation of web pages and other media. You will focus on solving for user needs by contributing on backend systems and services. The following is a sampling of the technologies we currently use:
- Python, Pyramid, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch
- AWS, Docker, Terraform
This role reports to the Engineering Manager
You are someone who loves problem solving. You value simplicity over complexity. You take great satisfaction in helping others be successful and productive, and wouldn’t think to move on without documenting your work so 6-months-from-now you (or anybody else for that matter) can drop back in and understand it. You’re a self-starter, an excellent communicator, and a team player.
Skills and experience you possess
- You are proficient in dynamic languages like Python
- Proficiency with building and designing RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with architectural patterns and tools used to build modern web applications
- Experience profiling and debugging web applications
- Experience working with developers of open source projects to resolve bugs or make improvements
- Integration of data storage solutions using databases such as Postgres
- You’ve worked with continuous integration and deployment systems, and have ideas about how to build and improve them.
You will thrive at Hypothesis if you
- Love learning new things
- Are committed to improving both as a technologist and a human being
- Are tenacious, self-directed, and highly motivated
- Have strong problem-solving skills
- Have led collaborations with business and technology teams to develop web-based applications
- Enjoy helping others around you grow as developers and be successful
- Have excellent documentation and verbal communication skills
- Are able to collaborate and rally support with people on and off your team
- Are naturally inclined to proactively document your code as part of your development process.
- Approach your work with a mindset that allows for growth and change
- You have productive habits, healthy process awareness, and good teamwork skills and instincts
Does this sound interesting? Drop us a line to tell us what about this role intrigues you and why you think you would be great for Hypothesis. Resumes are helpful, but so are examples of your recent work. We can’t wait to hear from you!
How to apply
If you want to apply or ask questions before applying, please contact us at email@example.com.
Hypothesis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.