Element 84, Inc.
We're Element 84 and we're taking on some of the biggest challenges in software: petabyte search, consumer streaming, and Earth science repositories, just to name a few. We are a team of gamers, musicians, artists, pitmasters, pilots, and tinkerers and we think you might have fun helping us solve some big problems. Element 84 was founded by husband-and-wife engineers and has grown into a skilled group of developers, designers, project managers, and business team that build high performance systems for some of the biggest corporate and government clients in the world. Our main office is located in Alexandria, VA but we support a large remote workforce from Michigan to Texas and Pennsylvania to Colorado.
Paying attention to who we are -- as a company, as people, as family members, friends, and colleagues, is probably the biggest part of who we are. There are lots of ways to run a company and you have probably experienced more than your share. For us, it's wanting to come to work, being around people we enjoy, taking on big things with people you trust, and sharing our achievements as a team.
- You’ll get credit when things go right and we’ll have your back when things go wrong.
- We only take on work that is challenging and right for us. There are projects we will turn down and the team has a say.
- We may be a small company, but we have big company benefits meant to support the idea that we're here for the long term and that happiness comes from much more than just where you work, including 401k, health & dental insurance, life & disability insurance, flexible schedule, cell phone stipend, flexible spending accounts for transportation and dependent care and a generous PTO policy.
We have an extraordinary retention rate because we only hire extraordinary people. We hope that’s you!
Element 84 is looking for a talented Systems Engineer to join our team to support EOSDIS. EOSDIS is a core capability in NASA’s Earth Science Data Systems Program. EOSDIS provides end-to-end capabilities for managing NASA’s Earth science data from various sources – satellites, aircraft, field measurements, and various other programs. For the EOS satellite missions, EOSDIS provides capabilities for command and control, scheduling, data capture and initial processing. The development and maintenance of the EOSDIS website is led by the NASA EOSDIS Evolution & Development (EED) project.
- As a member of the team you will participate in the support of the operations for the next generation cloud-based platform for the NASA EED program
- Ensure that the Operational agreements and polices are adhered too and that all response times are meet
- Ensure compliance to various program/project and NASA standards and requirements as well as the legal requirements of (SEC-508).
- Ensure that industry best practices for automation and scalability of assets are leveraged when necessary
- Knowledge and understanding of application hosting, with 2-5 years ofexperience using Cloud Services in an Infrastructure as a Service (IAAS) or Platform as Service (PAAS) environment
- In-depth knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS), including networking and serverless services such as Lambda and Step Functions
- 3-5 years of programming / scripting experience in C++, BASH, Python, Java and Java script particularly within an Agile development environment
- Experience with supporting end-user applications in a cloud environment
- Experience in supporting infrastructures and operations using DevOps automation tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Terraform. Focus on high availability of hardware, data replication, and provide real-time recovery in failure situations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Good experience in preparing IT technical documents
- Energetic, self motivated, team player that is comfortable using collaboration and open communications
All candidates must be able to pass a National Agency Clearance with Inquires (NACI) screening
Must be authorized to work for any US employer
- Experience with the UNIX OS
- Experience with full life cycle Software design and development experience on large/complex n-tier client/server applications
Element 84 is an equal opportunity employer, with a company culture that values diversity. We embrace inclusivity and believe that diversity of thought, perspective, and experience helps us reach higher and think bigger. Element 84 is committed to hiring the best person for the team and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. If you are interested in joining us, we want to hear from you!