Sense is building consumer hardware and mobile/web applications to help people understand their home energy consumption, see what's going on in their homes, and ultimately reduce their energy footprint. We're serious about having a real impact on climate change.
Our product is built on cutting-edge machine learning technology that analyzes detailed electrical data in real time to figure out what devices are on and how much power they're using. The data science team at Sense is responsible for developing these algorithms, and we're looking for a data engineer to join us. Our growing fleet of energy monitors is continuously streaming high volume energy data to the cloud data pipeline that powers our production and research systems. You will be responsible for the design, development, and operation of this critical infrastructure.
We're looking for someone who is:
- Excited about high-volume, realtime data and solving the challenges it poses.
- Passionate about building high-availability, performant, cost-effective, and scalable systems.
- Tenacious when tracking down production issues, digging into metrics and logs as needed to run a problem to the ground.
What you'll do:
- Work with the team to develop an infrastructure roadmap that will allow us to scale gracefully as our user base increases, reduce our operational costs, and enhance research productivity.
- Analyze, maintain, and improve our existing data systems and infrastructure.
- Design and implement new data systems and infrastructure as needed.
- Operate our production and research systems, including automation, metrics, and alerting.
What we're looking for:
- 2+ years professional experience as a data or backend engineer.
- Solid knowledge of computer science.
- Experience programming in languages such as Python or Java.
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.