Engineer - Thinkful
We are the distributed team of engineers that build and maintain the tech that supports students in their journey to change careers into data science, design, and web development. As a team, we pride ourselves on our ability to provide accessible education to motivated career switchers and together we build the tech that helps them reach mastery, and success.
You will join and lead a team of highly-motivated top-performers that is delivering on a vision of how the education of tomorrow looks like, serving an audience of thousands of students and educators. Your contributions will shape the way our students learn, helping them succeed in life.
Your purview would include delivering the goals on our engineering and data department charters, and leading backend and infrastructure projects.
In this Backend Infrastructure role, you will:
- Design, develop, and operate scalable and resilient distributed services supporting all Thinkful apps, running mainly on Python, PostgreSQL and deployed on Heroku.
- Collaborate with various functional teams on the scaling of our backend apps.
- Influence the roadmap and product development of the Thinkful applications.
It could not be a more exciting time to join of Thinkful’s Engineering team this year! The company is growing; the engineering team will double in headcount across including new senior leadership. Join us and help us scale engineering with best practices! Apply directly or email (email@example.com)
- Help developers take code and run it inside infrastructure which can include dockerizing apps, working on system observability, documenting standard operating procedures, etc.
- Lead research, design, architecture and implementation of services.
- Optimizing the performance of the services to meet SLA requirements around uptime and speed. A metrics-driven organization that believes in accountability for areas managed while helping other teams meet theirs.
- Collaborate on OKRs and contribute to roadmaps around Infrastructure projects while incorporating the roadmaps from other teams.
- Work closely with a team of experienced engineers, and mentor junior team members.
- Help drive security best practices across the organization. Make sure the platform can defend itself from any type of attack or intrusion.
- You have 5+ years experience in Software Engineering, Systems Administration, SRE, or similar roles
- Solid understanding of UNIX system administration, configuration, and command-line tools.
- Strong understanding of database design, caching and scalability, and knowledge of the networking stack
- Strong programming experience in Python (or any other scripting language)
- Experience building large-scale software and distributed systems
- Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, focus on value delivery.
- BS, MS, or PhD degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent industry experience
We're working to help everyone have a fulfilling career by teaching the skills needed for the modern economy. Though there are dozens of companies trying to do so, we believe you can't remove humans from real learning, so each of our students works one-on-one with a mentor. Our track records backs that up: our graduates land jobs within 6 months. Track our outcomes here: https://www.thinkful.com/outcomes/ and join us to help build the future of education.