HOMER is looking for a collaborative and results driven Data Engineer to join our energetic, growing team. This is a virtual role but must work East Coast hours. You will have a profound impact on a company that touches the lives of children, parents, and teachers across the globe with one of the most celebrated reading and learn-to-read platforms in the industry. We are looking to create world class digital learning experience available. Your work will help build a beautiful, personalized experience to meet every child's specific needs as they learn to read, love to read, and read to learn. Overall success in this position means you have helped the children using our products find the lessons, stories, and other content that best fit their age and interests.
HOMER is a venture-backed, high-growth business that offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits in a creative, flexible environment that invests in professional development.
As the Data Engineer, you will be responsible for improving and maintaining our data infrastructure and owning parts of it. You will focus on accuracy, reliability and timeliness of data used in our products and by the whole company uses to generate insights. As you grow, you'll take on new responsibilities, like scaling our data pipeline, data lake and data warehouse.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Own efficacy and quality for data pipelines and ETL processes you build and maintain
- Develop, maintain and improve tools to enable team members to rapidly consume and understand data
- Design scalable infrastructure to build, train, and deploy machine learning models, with an eye on efficiency
- Implement and integrate solutions using Python, SQL, and other languages as necessary
- Help build and add new features to our in-house experimental tools to support A/B testing
- Demonstrable expertise in Python, SQL, Node, relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL), non-relational databases (e.g. Couchbase or MongoDB), and column stores (e.g. Vertica/Redshift)
- Experience building and maintaining data infrastructure (including batch and near real-time ETL processes)
- Sound Computer Science fundamentals (Bachelor’s degree in CS or related fields preferred)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of MapReduce and some distributed data processing methodologies and frameworks (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Presto, Spark )
- Knowledge of deployment technologies in cloud hosted environments (e.g. AWS )
We like people who are:
- Results oriented, hands-on and passionate about our industry (education) and our consumers (children, parents and educators)
- Collaborative, and thrive in startup environments
- Able and willing to learn new technologies, methods and processes
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- A chance to have a big impact
- A chance to bring a love of reading and learning to children globally
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.