Senior Golang Engineer
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Beats platform is the basis for building open source shippers that collect all kinds of operational data, store it in Elasticsearch, and visualize it with Kibana. They collect data from edge servers, and are used to power application monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, and network monitoring. We currently have five official Beats: Filebeat for gathering logs, Packetbeat for network traffic, Metricbeat for metrics, Winlogbeat for Windows event logs, Heartbeat for uptime monitoring, and Auditbeat for audit data. In addition, the open-source community has created over 40 Beats, collecting data from all sorts of sources.
All current Beats are written in Golang.
As part of the Beats team, you will be responsible for maintaining the official Beats, for creating new ones, as well as for supporting the community around Beats. The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates on daily basis over Github, Zoom, and Slack.
- Write open source Golang code for maintaining different Beats.
- Dive into new technologies and figure out how to best monitor them.
- Define and create new Beats.
- Work with our support team to help customers.
- Answer community questions.
- Collaborate with other development teams, quality engineering team and documentation team to execute on product deliverables.
Skills you will bring along
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related engineering discipline and 3+ years of industry experience.
- Experience creating system level software on Unix and/or Windows platforms. Windows programming experience would be great to have.
- Experience in Golang programming is a big plus, but not strictly required. Our team can teach you and get you up to speed.
- Strong experience having worked with C/C++ or other system level programming languages.
- Operational experience with monitoring systems would be very welcome.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a great teammate with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work in a distributed team throughout the world.
- Knowledge and experience in Elasticsearch, Logstash, Distributed Systems is a plus.
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Stock options
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with employees in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages! Some even fly south for the winter :)