Senior/Lead Ruby/Rails Engineer
Each day brings more chores and less time to accomplish them. Whether someone needs a handyman, house cleaner, mover or delivery person, TaskRabbit delights clients by matching the right skilled person in minutes. With our support, our customers can accomplish it all not only today, but also on-demand to be their most productive self. On the other side of the marketplace we help our Taskers earn a living by setting their own prices, defining their working hours, and giving them control to help people when and how they want in the most supportive marketplace.
We're a mission-driven company. Our culture is collaborative, pragmatic and fast-paced. We're looking for talented, entrepreneurially minded and data-driven people who also have a passion for helping people do what they love - and having a ton of fun while they're at it.
Join us to revolutionize everyday work.
About the Job
You'll be a member of our engineering team, helping us build out the platform that drives our business. We have applications for clients to hire taskers, for taskers to register, and for our internal users to administer the service. We use React.js on the frontend, and Rails on the backend. We're looking for people that still love Rails or at least can admit that it’s a very effective way to build great things. If you are interested in React, that’s even better.
As a senior engineer, you'll be one of the leaders of the team, helping to mentor junior engineers, propose creative solutions, and detangle the complex into the simple. You should be comfortable architecting and building moderately complex solutions to backend challenges. You'll work alongside our Chief Architect to have a full vision of the system working to build a robust platform that's clearly organized and easy to maintain. We believe strongly in test-driven development and code reviews. It's expected that you'd be a main reviewer helping to grow the skills of the more junior engineers.
- Build out backend APIs to support clients, taskers, and internal users
- For example, implement a new payment provider for the next country we launch in
- Maintain and expand unit tests and code coverage
- Implement product features and refactor existing code throughout the stack
- Provide feedback on features being developed across the company and suggest solutions
- Participate in code reviews, listening to feedback and commenting on other's approaches
- Collaborate with design and product management to conceptualize a new product features
Background and Experience
We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Below gives you a sense of how we're thinking about what you'll need to be successful in the role.
- 5-10 years of experience, comfortable working independently
- Comfortable with Ruby and Rails, familiarity with React a plus
- Experience building API-driven applications or endpoints
- Knowledge of MySQL, Redis, and/or ElasticSearch all a plus
- Familiarity with Linux command line, automated build systems would be nice
- Excited to work with continuous integration and frequent, daily releases
- Like to think about how to break problems down into smaller iterable steps
- Agile. Intelligent. Creative. Problem-solver. Startup lover. You like making things happen.
- We care about experience, not degrees. We're looking for people that have a passion for programming.
- You have contributed to an open source software project. Show us your github account, we'd love to see what you're enjoy working on.
- You're familiar with our product and have some ideas on things you'd want to add or change!
Benefits & Perks
In addition to working with a stellar team of entrepreneurs, advisors, and investors, TaskRabbit employees get tons of perks:
- Challenge: The opportunity for growth in a fast-paced, progressive company is yours for the taking. Game on!
- Monthly task stipend: Use the product you’re working on and outsource errands you don’t want to do
- Medical benefits: Amazing health coverage with dental and vision benefits, a flexible spending account, 401k plans (matching!), a discount at IKEA, and ample PTO
- Education: A series of Lunch and Learn events (we call it “Learnch”) along with mentoring opportunities and an annual learning and development stipend for your personal use
- Office: A huge, dog-friendly SOMA loft built to accommodate collaboration, with two fully-stocked kitchens and a game room. Free lunch every day!
- Fun: Awesome off-site adventures, weekly meditation, yoga, annual charity events? Yes!