Senior Software Engineer
We're looking for a product engineer to help launch new features, expand test coverage, bolster our API, and improve site and platform reliability as we grow and expand. The ideal candidate is someone who values code simplicity, readability and reliability but who also realizes that successful software is more than just a passing test... it's a delighted customer!
Your role will be to build and support a SaaS tool (called "Connect") that helps teachers, coaches, and other activity providers manage their businesses (i.e. scheduling, payment processing, CRM, etc.). You'll work closely with our product team to find the sweet spot somewhere between customer development, design and code - that's where great product lives! As our team's fourth engineer, you'll also have a hand in helping set the tone for overall technical direction. You could be someone who wants to remain an individual contributor or someone who wants to grow and manage an engineering team. We're open to both.
We work at a fast pace, iterating on product ideas and pushing code nearly every day. You should be excited by the prospect of having your hands deep in the product, but also realize that building software can be a dirty (and scary) business. Indeed, we're a small team, so you'll own significant chunks of the product. That's cool - until it's 3 am and you realize the code you just pushed brought down our API, but you have no idea why...
The team is based in San Francisco, but we're open to making this a remote position. If you're not located in the Bay Area, we'd establish clear and open lines of communication (we use Slack, so this shouldn't be difficult) and would aim to spend at least one week per quarter working together in person (we'd, of course, cover travel & lodging).
Our Stack | Must have RoR experience!
- Work with the mobile team to build out our private API.
- Build out new features, while also maintaining existing features, for our web-based provider platform.
- Work with support staff to help triage bugs.
- Participate in code reviews whenever necessary.
- Work with the design/product team to whiteboard new product ideas.
- Improve or expand existing analytics coverage (Mixpanel and New Relic).
- Write or expand existing test coverage.
What We're Looking For
- You have experience writing web applications for 5+ years and can point to things you've worked on. Having a corpus of code is essential — we'll definitely ask to see what you've been working on.
- You're self-motivated and you've worked at a startup before and/or have a willingness to work on a small, distributed team. You know and embrace what it means to work in a "lean startup" environment.
- You have experience programming with languages such as Ruby, Python, or PHP and have a good understanding of MVC frameworks such as Rails or Django.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval. Although it's not essential that you have some sort of academic background in computer science, it's essential that you be fluent in describing the way that code becomes product.
- You communicate good... Whether you're based in SF or not, you'll be expected to communicate complex technical concepts to the non-technical members of our team (e.g. design, support, sales, etc.).
- You're comfortable both building and using RESTful APIs.
- When things break, you are eager and able to help fix them.
- You want to leave everything better than you found it: the code, the product, the world...
Care.com supports diverse families and communities and seeks employees who are just as diverse. As an equal opportunity employer, Care.com recognizes the power of a diverse workforce and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds.