Data Scientist in Residence
This year, we have an exciting road ahead through the combined data collected from cohorts of students, feedback from our pool of mentors and the continued analysis of the shape of the opportunities that our graduates fill. As the Data Scientist in Residence, you will guide our education team through the ever-changing landscape of the industry, help with defining our roadmap of investments to make, explore areas of research to pursue and propose curriculum partnerships to establish.
This position reports to the Head of Programs. Given the varied responsibilities that this role may be involved with, your background should include a broad understanding of current trends and data science, industry leadership, data science management or student education; these will all be equally applicable and lend themselves well to the needs of our student body. This position works closely with the Head of Programs, Head of Curriculum and their respective teams to shape the direction of our existing and future programs and consults with the career services team to continually adjust the evaluation guidelines so that they align with future job markets and company needs.
Thinkful’s headquarters is in Brooklyn, New York, but we are an incredibly remote-friendly company. Only ¼ of our employees work in the main office, with the rest of the team in a normal distribution across the US, supported by our mentor network and student body across the globe. Ideally, you want to work in Brooklyn or San Francisco, but can be successful in this role from anywhere in the world.
Industry Experience and Domain Expertise
- Has a deep appreciation of the shape of the Data Science industry, and the constantly changing facets therein
- Demonstrates broad industry experience in a number of areas of technical interest, from languages like Python and R, to distributed systems with Kafka and Spark, to machine learning with Tensorflow or PyTorch
- Enjoys keeping up with industry trends, attending conferences and participating in meetups on subjects as varied as statistical modeling, computer vision, machine learning and natural language processing
Leadership, Mentorship and Sponsorship
- Can evaluate prospective student’s previous experience and interests to help create a healthy, engaged and successful student body
- Can design evaluation guidelines for both students’ learning objectives and career outcomes, as well as leading mentor alignment to the criteria that the guidelines establish
- Has an opinion on the facets of a successful Data Science curriculum, what is required versus optional, and what new units and specializations should be added
- Can help the curriculum team evaluate and incorporate student feedback, including issue triage, clarification requests and example building
Nice to Haves
- Has experience teaching or leading training, either in an academic, professional or similar environment
- Has been involved with mentoring direct employees, peer groups or organizations within a matrixed environment
- Is interested in the public advocacy of Data Science and has participated in community events
- Has an appreciation for the narratives that the application of Data Science can create, wants to contribute to pieces like what we’ve created for helping animal adoption or our piece on The Oscars, and can distill them into a presentation for events
- Is comfortable speaking in front of an audience of 10-50 people, either in person or via the web
- Understands how to succeed in a non-hierarchical, influence-based management organization, working with peer departments in curriculum development, student success and marketing
Please submit your resume and cover letter via our platform to apply for this role.