Research Square is the leader in ethical author-oriented solutions in the world of academic publishing and we help researchers succeed through our world-class technology-enabled services. We are home to American Journal Experts (AJE), which provides solutions that help researchers communicate their work so they can get back to making discoveries. Research Square is a dynamic company with a global reach, located in the West Village area of Durham, NC.
We currently have a challenging opportunity for a bright, hardworking, and self-motivated developer. We are looking for a mid- to senior-level developer who exhibits personal humility and who strives to enable the success of their team in our fun and collaborative environment.
As a developer, you will be working on a variety of projects supporting our internal staffing needs, including building backend web applications, APIs and third-party integrations, front end improvements and more.
We do agile development. You will have time to write your unit tests, your code will be reviewed by peers, and it will be pushed to production on (at least) a weekly basis. What you create will get used! You will also have four days a month to explore innovative ideas and address technical debt outside of our normal development cadence.
*Relocation is not required.
- Extend and maintain our main internal site which is used to support internal operations
- Design and develop new solutions to eliminate operational bottlenecks through automation efforts
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand the business and how our solutions fit into our larger efforts
- Build a successful team dynamic through pairing, design discussions and the code review process
Skills & Requirements
- 3+ years of PHP or OOP development
- 3+ years experience with relational databases
- Understanding of MVC design principles
- Experience with Git or other DVCS
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrable ability to work as a team as well as individually
(We are looking to fill this position immediately. As a result, we will only be able to consider candidates who are currently authorized to work in the US for any employer at this time.)
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with multiple programming languages
- Experience with Zend Framework
- Experience with React and Redux
- Experience with JSON, REST, and APIs
- Experience with domain-driven design
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery
- Experience with machine learning or other optimization problems
Our Current Toolbox: PHP 7, Zend Framework 1 and 3, Doctrine ORM, MySQL, Redis, React, Redux, Amazon Web Services, Docker, CircleCI, GitHub, Airbrake, TensorFlow and OptaPlanner
- Demonstrates Research Square’s core values
- Understand how your work impacts the business and the goals of the company
- Develop a deep understanding of the code base and provide recommendations for architectural change
- Maintain a velocity consistent with the rest of the team
- Be able to manage a project from initial design plan through execution to release
- Foster an environment of team unity and mutual support by helping your co-workers as they seek to help you