Senior iOS Engineer
We are looking to hire an experienced engineer to build our upcoming iOS SDK in Objective C and help enhance our iOS app. Our goal is to make it easy for iOS developers to add Help Scout capabilities to their apps and craft a wonderful experience for our iOS app users. Your work will empower over 8,000 businesses around the world to provide great customer service, and will support the other senior engineers on your team.
Tools We Use
- Objective C, RubyMotion, Pusher, AWS, Firebase
- Slack, Trello / Jira, Github, Jenkins
About the Role
- Many of our customers have iOS apps that would benefit by in-app support capabilities powered by Help Scout such as in-app support conversations and self-service articles. You will own development of our Objective C SDK so our customer’s iOS apps can easily embed these capabilities, and customize them as needed. We also have plans to rewrite our iOS app using Swift — our current app is written in RubyMotion.
- Our engineering team is currently thirty people, just over half the company. You will be working on our five-person mobile team which includes another iOS engineer, two other Android engineers and a designer. You’ll be involved in every decision made regarding implementation, testing, and backlog prioritization.
- A separate team of engineers owns all the API endpoints written in Java, so your work is focused on the SDK implementation and design details. You’ll also get everything you need from the design team with regard to iOS-specific visual design and interactions. You’ll work with customers and QA testers to ensure releases meet customer demands and our high quality bar.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack and are committed to remote, agile development. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review - using video and screen-sharing as needed. Your development builds can be easily tested on environments that closely match production. You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- Your team performs engineering support when a question can’t be answered by our in-house support team and passes triage. We’ll get you up-to-speed with engineering support so you can help our customers and improve the product along the way.
- Everything is secondary to the customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your code will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability.
- You'll be working with product people that challenge you to get better every day. The founders are technical and committed to creating a magical experience for customers. You'll deploy work that moves the needle for businesses around the world.
- You can work almost anywhere in the world as long as you have 4+ hours of overlap time with Boston, MA and Denver, CO working hours. For example, you could work 9AM - 5PM from either Edmonton Ontario or Caracas, Argentina and achieve 4+ hours overlap.
- You bring a level of iOS-specific expertise that will help us craft an outstanding experience for customers and fellow iOS app developers. With years of experience delivering iOS apps using CocoaTouch frameworks with Objective-C and Swift you are someone that loves picking up new skills and refining your craft.
- You have familiarity with building a UI with Interface Builder and Storyboards and understand how to leverage RestAPIs and the Core Data framework.
- You have a great understanding of how “always online” products like Help Scout communicate with web services in an unpredictable iOS reality. You can help us design everything to fail gracefully and leverage local storage to provide customers with as seamless an experience as possible.
- You delight not only in the way an application works, but in how it looks, and have an excellent understanding of iOS interaction design. Complex cross fades, card flips and other iOS animation details are something you love working on because it can help you execute the perfect user experience.
- You stay up-to-date on the iOS platform and can provide insightful advice about leveraging native platform APIs or evaluating and leveraging wrappers.
- You have experience digging through crash reports and metrics to find ways to incrementally improve your apps
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work/management style to be remote-friendly.
- You’re a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution.
- You are helpful and empathetic and care about building on our company culture that embraces these qualities.
- Help Scout is a remote team with employees in eleven states and six countries (five in the Boston office). We optimize the team for excellence over geography and overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing.
- We’re a customer-driven company and always will be. Everything follows the customer experience, no exceptions. There is no sales team. Everyone at Help Scout is aligned in their motivation to create content that adds value and build a product that is a pleasure for businesses to use.
- Our company is growing quickly and has aspirations of helping millions of people around the world. Accomplishing our goals will present countless challenges and require you to excel in every aspect of the position. It’s super hard, but the people we’re looking for love tackling hard problems.
- This is not the typical startup “rocketship”. We’ll never compromise customers or the experience in favor of growth. Our purpose is to build a profitable company that small businesses love and sustain it for the long term. There are no kegerators, playgrounds or Xboxes. Instead, we’d prefer employees to have a sustainable work/life balance and for their career at Help Scout to be a long one.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere - Work from our office in Boston or anywhere else, provided you have 4 hours of overlap with the team. We’ll even buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider. (currently US only)
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption- 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- 401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee needs a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.