Senior DevOps Engineer, Big Data
This position is for an experienced DevOps engineer to join our 6 person DevOps team. We’re looking for someone with a strong track record of building infrastructure, maintaining high level of uptime and experience in Big Data technologies. You will be supporting and building products alongside our 50 person engineering team.
Why work at Doximity?
Doximity is rewiring healthcare and is the 6th fastest growing tech company in North America. Here's how clinicians use Doximity. For us, transparency is key, so ensuring your goals and values align with ours is also an important step. Take a look at how we Work at Doximity.
Typical Daily Tasks
- Active involvement in design, implementation, and maintenance of the development, staging, and production infrastructure and services.
- Work on automating tasks using Jenkins.
- Troubleshoot system issues (such as high-load, memory, CPU usage, etc.) and come up with temporary/long-term solutions based on the root cause.
- Work with developers to deploy applications ready for production (Terraform, Consul, Vault, Upstart, NGINX, Sensu). We believe in infrastructure as code and follow it.
- Write Chef cookbooks (using "Berkshelf Way") to automate configuration management.
- Setup deployment, backup, and restore strategies for MySQL, Elasticsearch, Neo4J, Redis, Kafka and other data-stores.
- Ensure proper security, monitoring, alerting and reporting for the infrastructure.
- Participate in a 1-week on 7-week off, 24/7 on-call rotation.
- Hands-on maintenance on our Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, and Go (Golang) applications.
- Build and scale the infrastructure for Airflow, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Hadoop.
- Collaborate closely with developers to make sound infrastructure decisions and improve workflow.
- Troubleshoot issues across the whole stack: hardware, software, and network.
- Document current and future procedures, configuration and policies in the wiki.
- Monitor and plan for capacity upgrades.
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ years of solid Linux/UNIX systems engineer/administrator experience.
- Automation experience with configuration management tools such as Chef, Ansible, or Puppet.
- Significant experience with MySQL, Spark, Airflow, Redshift, Hive, Kafka a must.
- Intermediate to Advanced experience administering an RDB (MySQL or Postgres a plus)
- Proficient in bash shell scripting (sed + awk) and one of Ruby or Python.
- Experience automating application deployments with Capistrano or Jenkins.
- Ability to work in a proactive manner and manage your own queue.
- Experience with AWS basics (EC2, ELB, ALB, ASG, LC, Security Groups)
- Experience with Hashicorp tools, Neo4j, Elasticsearch, or Security/Pen Testing a plus.
A few facts about us
- We deploy our applications to production on average 25 times per day.
- We have over 250 private repositories in Github, ranging from forks of gems, our own internal gems as well as auxiliary applications.
- Our production stack is hosted on AWS and QA clusters on DigitalOcean.
- Hundreds of thousands of healthcare professionals will utilize the products you build.
- We host unstructured "hack days" periodically, which is time reserved for you to scratch a code itch.
- A couple times a year we run a co-op where you can pick a few people you'd like to work with and drive a specific company goal.
- Every new engineer ships code to production on day one. Our mentorship program ensures you're immersed in the team's culture early on.
About the Technical Stack
Benefits & Perks
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, vision, dental, Life/ADD, 401k, flex spending accounts, and commuter benefits
- Stock, pre-IPO stock incentives
- 3+ weeks of PTO
- 12 company holidays, including company shut down in December
- Team trips to fun places like Lake Tahoe, Sonoma, Seattle and Park City
- 5-year sabbatical
Doximity is the leading social network for healthcare professionals with over 70% of U.S. doctors as members. We have strong revenues, profits, real market traction, and were putting a dent in the inefficiencies of our $2.5 trillion U.S. healthcare system. After the iPhone, Doximity is the fastest adopted product by doctors of all time. Our founder, Jeff Tangney, is the founder & former President and COO of Epocrates (IPO in 2010), and Nate Gross is the founder of digital health accelerator RockHealth. Our investors include top venture capital firms who've invested in Box, Salesforce, Skype, SpaceX, Tesla Motors, Twitter, Tumblr, Mulesoft, and Yammer. Our beautiful offices are located in SoMa San Francisco.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.