Sr. SRE - Fastidious Integration Tester
Stealth mode startup seeks like minded Sr. Site Reliability Engineer to help conquer the planet. PacketFabric is creating a new platform for networks to connect and exchange traffic, regardless of location. The technical team is a small, talented, and close knit group. We have a bond formed from the love of running head long at difficult problems and finding highly effective solutions.
You love a test for everything, and everything tested. You laugh in the face of complex systems, obviously seeing all the test cases that are required to ensure reliability and expected outcomes. You create meticulous integration tests, and have an eye for detail that is loathed by all the software engineers you encounter. This is not a typical Quality Assurance Engineering position - hence why isn’t titled as such - we are looking for a master of all. Our Sr. Integration Tester needs to deeply understand how all systems and technologies we use work. You should definitely be the type that appreciates diversity in your day, and challenges outside of your comfort level! A typical day might include these types of activities:
- Work closely within the SRE team and across Network, Automation, Middleware, and FrontEnd teams to create test cases.
- Creating an API test suite that covers all possible outcomes, including all error conditions.
- Create another API test suite for more internal APIs with the same attention for detail as you did the first one.
- Work across teams to maintain build and deployment pipelines, versioning across systems, and improve continuous deployment cycle.
- Create scale testing for various systems.
- Document and relay issues found - quickly and with precise detail.
- Automate the process for deploying testing/dev environments quickly - VMs, routers, software and all.
- Perform some truly tedious UI testing, and design a plan for getting this automated.
The right candidates will have an abundance of hard core programming skills and be extremely well versed in various testing frameworks, methodologies, and dealing with frustrating large data sets. You will know how and when to sacrifice elegance, for getting it done on deadline, and know when it is time to go refactor some code to improve how tests are run. You don't even need to be reminded of testing for security issues, because things as simple as testing for session security are inherent to your nature.
Specific requirements include:
- You know PHP, Python, and probably a variety of other languages.
- Be highly proficient with various testing frameworks, or writing your own in all the above languages.
- Be an expert with build pipelines and Jenkins.
- Be very familiar with Ansible.
- Have written created large scale testing frameworks and integration tests.
- Understand queueing methodologies, especially with RabbitMQ and Kafka.
- Solid understanding of Layer 2 and Layer 3 networking protocols and an understanding a multitude of different network architectures.
- Be 100% comfortable on any *nix command line.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
Some knowledge that would be a huge plus:
- Exposure to OpenTSDB and large scale metrics systems.
- Exposure to Netconf.
- Previous work with complex billing systems.