Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Want to change how the world engages with news and data?
Selerity has dominated ultra-low-latency data science in finance for almost 8 years. Now our real-time content analytics and contextual recommendation platform is gaining broader traction in enterprise and media applications and we need to scale up!
We’re looking for an experienced site reliability engineer to join a major initiative at a critical point in our company’s growth.
Highly competitive compensation plus significant opportunities for professional growth and career advancement.
Employment Type: Contract
Location is Flexible: New York City (main office), Chicago, or Remote
- Possess a rock-solid background in Computer Science (minimum BS in Comp Sci or related field) + at least 5 years (ideally 10+) of challenging work experience.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in coding Java or C++ in Linux environments.
- Implementation of DevOps / SRE processes at scale including continuous integration, automated testing, and platform monitoring.
- Direct experience in the design, implementation and maintenance of SaaS API's that are minimal, efficient, scalable and supportable throughout their lifecycle.
- Detailed working knowledge of high volume systems such as media serving, recommender systems, real-time bidding, instant messaging and/or social networking.
- Advanced understanding of networking stack including TCP and UDP performance optimization.
- Understanding of InfoSec threats and best practices and how to apply them at architecture, infrastructure and process levels.
- Solid track record of making effective design decisions balancing near-term and long-term objectives.
- Know when to use commercial or open-source solutions, when to delegate to a teammate and when to roll up your sleeves and code it yourself.
- Work effectively in agile teams; get stuff done with minimal guidance and zero BS, help others and know when to ask for help.
- Clearly communicate complex technical and product issues to non-technical team members, managers, clients, etc.
- Full-stack development and operations experience with web apps on Node.js.
- Experience with analytics visualization libraries.
- Integration of API’s in mobile apps, especially push notifications.
- Experience with large-scale analytics and machine learning foundation technologies including TensorFlow/Sonnet, Torch, Caffe, Spark, Hadoop, cuDNN, etc.
- Experience managing and optimizing infrastructure in both cloud (AWS or GCP) and multi-tenant data centers / colocation environments.
- Conversant with relational, column, object, and graph database fundamentals + strong practical experience in at least two of those paradigms.
- Implementation of software defined networking or other non-traditional networking paradigms.
- Experience implementing compute-intensive algorithms on specialized hardware including GPU’s (K80, P100, W9100), Xeon Phi (Knights Corner/Landing), FPGA’s (Xilinx and/or Altera), network-attached processors, etc.
- Experience with precise timing distribution protocols (ptp, syncE, whiterabbit) and algorithms built upon them.
Our stack combines leading commercial and open source technologies with numerous home-grown innovations, including:
- A variety of open source and in-house frameworks for natural language processing and machine learning including artificial neural networks / deep learning.
- Hybrid of AWS (EC2, S3, RDS, R53) + dedicated datacenter network, server and GPU/coprocessor infrastructure.
- Cassandra, VoltDB, ElasticSearch plus in-house streaming analytics pipeline (similar to Apache Flink) and indexing/query engine (similar to ElasticSearch).
- In-house messaging frameworks for low-latency (sub-microsecond sensitivity) multicast and global-scale TCP (similar to the range across protobufs/FixFast/zeromq/itch).
- Ansible, Git, Subversion, PagerDuty, Icinga, Grafana, Observium, LDAP, Jenkins, Maven, Purify, VisualVM, Wireshark, Eclipse, Intellij
This position offers a great opportunity to work with advanced technologies, collaborate with a top-notch, global team and disrupt a highly visible, multi-billion-dollar market.
We understand how to attract and retain the best talent and offer a competitive mix of salary, benefits and equity. We also understand how important it is for you to feel challenged, to have opportunities to learn new things, to have the flexibility to balance your work and personal life and to know that your work has impact in the real world. We have team members on four continents and we're adept at making remote workers feel like part of the team. If you join our NYC main office be sure to bring your Nerd toys, your drones and your maker gear - we’re into that stuff, too.
If you can see yourself at Selerity, send your resume and/or online profile (e.g. LinkedIn) to email@example.com. We’ll arrange a short introductory phone call and if it sounds like there’s a match we'll arrange for you to meet the team for a full interview.
The interview process lasts several hours and is sometimes split across two days. It is intended to be challenging - but the developers you meet and the topics you’ll be asked to explain (and code!) should give you a very clear sense of what it would be like to work at Selerity.
We value different perspectives and have built a team that reflects that diversity while maintaining the highest standards of excellence. You can rest assured that we welcome talented engineers regardless of their age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity or national origin.